- Support Portal
- SAP® Online Help
- SAP® Documentation
FIN_AA_PARALLEL_VAL: FI-AA, Parallel Valuation (New)
( RELNFIAA_607_PARVAL_M )
BAL Application Log Documentation
General Material Data
This documentation is copyright by SAP AG.
FIN_AA_PARALLEL_VAL: FI-AA, Parallel Valuation (New)
As of SAP enhancement package 7 for SAP ERP 6.0 SP 02 (EA-FIN 617 SP02), the business function FI-AA, Parallel Valuation
(FIN_AA_PARALLEL_VAL) is available. You can use this business function to map the parallel valuation of your fixed assets.
To be able to use this business function, you have to use new General Ledger Accounting with the ledger
approach. For additional information about the prerequisites for this business function, see section “Effects on Customizing”.
Asset Accounting with active business function and active Customizing switch is referred to below as
“new Asset Accounting” or “FI-AA (new)” Asset Accounting prior to this is referred as “classic Asset Accounting” in order to distinguish the two.
Characteristics and use of new Asset Accounting
You can now assign the depreciation areas of new Asset Accounting to the ledger groups of the general
ledger in a more flexible way. The fixed linkage of depreciation area 01 to the leading ledger in the
general ledger no longer applies. The system posts parallel values with the actual values in realtime;
separate documents are posted for each valuation. The means the posting of delta values has been replaced; as a result, the delta depreciation areas are no longer required.
Activating and setting up this business function (FIN_AA_PARALLEL_VAL) is the prerequistie for business function FI-GL, Change in Leading Valuation (such as to IFRS)
(FIN_GL_CHNGE_LDG_VAL). When you change the leading valuation, it is possible to change the accounting
principles underlying the group valuation without having to adapt the configuration of new Asset Accounting or change the historical transaction data.
You must or should activate business function (FIN_AA_PARALLEL_VAL) in the following cases:
- You want to use the SAP application for Asset Accounting for the first time (activation of business function FIN_AA_PARALLEL_VAL is advised).
- You want to use business function FI-GL, Change in Leading Valuation (such as to IFRS)
(FIN_GL_CHNGE_LDG_VAL) (activation of business function FIN_AA_PARALLEL_VAL is essential).
- You are already using classic Asset Accounting. You also want to make postings in all valuations
(for all accounting principles) in real time. You want to be able to comprehend the postings of all
valuations, without having to take into account the postings of the leading valuation, as was previously the case. The following details the advantages you gain by using new Asset Accounting:
- Real-time postings in all valuations
- Leading valuation made more flexible
- Parallel documents for each valuation that post correct values from the beginning
- Abolition of delta areas for the parallel valuation
- Simplification of your chart of depreciation
- Valuation-specific postings by restriction to ledger group or depreciation area; the restriction of transaction types to depreciation area no longer applies
- Different fiscal year variants for each valuation (restriction: beginning and end date of the fiscal year variant have to match)
- Straightforward assignment of accounts for each valuation within an asset class
- Simplified management of economic assets that are to be capitalized in accordance with a set of accounting principles, but are to be posted to expense in accordance with a different set.
You can use new Asset Accounting providing you are using the ledger approach. The account approach is not supported in this delivery.
However, it is possible for you to use new Asset Accounting for the ledger approach in one client, while you can use classic Asset Accounting for the account approach in another client.
ALE transfer is not available.
The batch input method is no longer available; you can use the changed and new BAPIs for postings instead. For more information on these BAPIs, see the
Postings Release Note.
Reversal using a document with reversed positive/negative signs (an inverse posting) is possible; a real reversal (negative posting) is no longer available.
Other Release Notes
For more information about new Asset Accounting, see the following release notes:
Effects on Existing Data
Existing master data, transaction data and Customizing data is not changed by activating the business function or the Customizing switch.
Note the following:
- You cannot reverse documents that originated before the changeover from classic to new Asset Accounting. Instead, you have to make an inverse posting.
- It may no longer be possible to process worklists that have been created before the changeover to
the new Asset Accouting. This involves worklists that create transaction data (however, not
master data changes), such as worklists for retirement without revenue, retirement with revenue, intercompany
asset transfer, impairment posting. You should therefore either process these worklists before you activate the Customizing switch, or create them again once you have activated the Customizing switch.
- Regarding the restriction of transaction types to depreciation areas, note the Postings release note.
- Existing Customizing settings from classic Asset Accounting are transferred; this means that to
the extent you have already been working with classic Asset Accounting, you do not
have to make all the Customizing settings again. Nevertheless, you should usually check the Customizing settings, and change or enhance them.
When you activate the business function, a separate Customizing structure for new Asset Accounting is
shown in the SAP Reference IMG under Financial Accounting (New):
Asset Accounting (New). This IMG structure contains some of the same activities as are in classic
Asset Accounting, some changed activities, and some new activities; a few of the classic Asset Accounting
activities are no longer contained in the Asset Accounting (New) IMG structure at all.
Some of the classic Asset Accounting transactions have been replaced by corresponding new ones. So that
you can make ledger group-specific postings, input fields Depreciation Area
and Ledger Group can be found on the screen for the new transactions. The name of the relevant new tansaction ends in “L”. Example: The previous transaction AB01
(Create Asset Transactions) is replaced by the new transaction AB01L.
The new transactions are: AB01L, ABAAL, ABAKL, ABAOL, ABAVL, ABAWL, ABCOL, ABGFL, ABGLL, ABIFL, ABMAL, ABMRL, ABNAL, ABNEL, ABNKL, ABSOL, ABSTL, ABUML, ABZEL, ABZOL, ABZPL, ABZUL.
As soon as you have activated the new Asset Accounting Customizing switch, the system responds as follows:
If you enter the old familiar transaction (without the ending in L), you are automatically transferred to the new transaction (that ends in L).
Transaction ABSO_OLD from classic Asset Accounting is no longer available in new Asset Accounting; you can use transaction AB01L instead.
SAP Easy Access Menu
The SAP Easy Access Menu for new Asset Accounting remains the same as for the classic Asset Accounting.
You can continue to find it under SAP Menu -> Accounting -> Financial Accounting -> Fixed Assets.
As soon as you have activated the Customizing switch for new Asset Accounting, the system is set to transfer you to any of the new transactions (compare the transactions detailed above).
Effects on Data Transfer
Programs for asset postings that supply Asset Accounting with data using batch input (for example, interfaces
to non-SAP sytems) can no longer be used (as mentioned above). You have to change over these programs to the new BAPIs. See the corresponding section in the
Postings release note.
Effects on System Administration
Effects on Customizing
Prerequisites for the Business Function
For you to be able to use new Asset Accounting, the following criteria must be met:
- You have set up and activated the application component General Ledger Accounting (FI-GL) (New).
- To handle parallel accounting principles, use the ledger approach.
- You have activated the Financials Extension (EA-FIN) business function.
- You have configured the classic Asset Accounting (FI-AA) application component.
- From the Financials Extension (EA-FIN), you use the new depreciation calculation with the depreciation calculation program (DCP).
- Or: If you have not previously used classic Asset Accounting, you need to make all of the necessary Customizing settings for new Asset Accounting.
- You need to activate this business function FI-AA, Parallel Valuation (FIN_AA_PARALLEL_VAL) for new Asset Accounting.
Prerequisites for Asset Accounting (FI-AA) (new)
If you want to use new Asset Accounting, you are not allowed to use any of the following components:
- Joint Venture Accounting (JVA)
- You cannot activate new Asset Accounting in company codes in which JVA is active, and the reverse is also true.
- (The business function JVA, Integration with New General Ledger Accounting (JVA_GL_INTEGRATION)) is also not compatible with new Asset Accounting.)
- From the Financials Extension (EA-FIN): Lease Accounting Engine (LAE)
- The LAE controls postings for the lessor scenario; this scenario consists of the components CRM Leasing (CRM-LAM) and Leasing Accounting (FI-LA).
- Real Estate (RE), that is, classic Real Estate Management
- From Funds Management (PSM-FM) or Industry-Specific Component Public Sector (IS-PS): Requests with Reference to Asset
If you are already using classic Asset Accounting, the following additional prerequisites also apply:
- Make sure that the periodic asset postings (with program RAPERB2000) are completed.
- Also ensure that there are no update terminations from direct postings in the system.
The parallel currencies in the leading ledger in General Ledger Accounting and in the depreciation areas
in Asset Accounting must be congruent. If you have previously been using parallel currencies in General
Ledger Accounting but you have not implemented the corresponding parallel currency
areas in Asset Accounting for all depreciation areas, you must first implement these depreciation areas before you can activate new Asset Accounting. Contact your system specialist.
Relationship to Other Business Functions
New Asset Accounting has the following relationships to other business functions:
- CO, CO, Parallel Valuation of Cost of Goods Manufactured (FIN_CO_COGM), SAP ERP 6.0 enhancement packages 5 and upwards
- As of SAP enhancement package 7 SP02, you can also valuate investment measures differently for the parallel
valuation of the cost of goods manufactured, according to accounting principle. These valuation approaches
are activated for each depreciation area when you settle investment measures for assets under construction
(AUC) and for the full settlement to completed assets, depending on the accounting principle. Differing
capitalization percentage rates from the Customizing activity for calculating the capitalization value of investment measures (transaction OKGK) are taken into account.
- Materials Management – Enhancements in Procurement (LOG_MM_CI_3), SAP enhancement package 5 for SAP ERP 6.0
- If you use purchase orders for low-value assets (LVA) in Asset Accounting, then in the future it is
not possible to note purchase orders if the LVA maximum amount is exceeded. If you
want to use the function for noting purchase orders, we recommend that you activate the business function Materials Management – Enhancements in Procurement (LOG_MM_CI_3).
- FI-AA, Asset Accounting (FIN_AA_CI_1), SAP enhancement package 6 for SAP ERP 6.0
- Where you have assigned different fiscal year variants to your general ledgers, you can only use new
Asset Accounting if you have activated business function FIN_AA_CI_1, and have assigned the appropriate fiscal year variant to the corresponding depreciation areas that manage APC and post in real time.
- FI-GL, Change in Leading Valuation (such as to IFRS) (FIN_GL_CHNGE_LDG_VAL), SAP enhancement package 7 for SAP ERP 6.0 SP 02
- Setting up and activating this business function (FIN_AA_PARALLEL_VAL) is the prerequisite for changing the leading valuation in the new General Ledger Accounting.
Time of the changeover from classic to new Asset Accounting
You can make the changeover from the classic to the new Asset Accounting at any time you wish.
The prerequisite for this is, however, that you have completed all periodic and current posting processes that involve Asset Accounting. You must not make any postings during the changeover.
You are recommended to carry out the changeover after period closing has been fully completed.
Application Documentation in the SAP Library
You can find the application documentation for new Asset Accounting in the new structure Asset Accounting (New) in the SAP Library.
You can find it in the Help Portal under SAP ERP -> SAP ERP Central Component -> Financials -> Financial Accounting -> Asset Accounting (New).
Business Function Documentation in the SAP Library
You can find the business function documentation under SAP ERP -> Business Functions (SAP Enhancement Package 7 for SAP ERP 6.0) >
Business Functions in SAP ERP > Enterprise Business Functions > Accounting > Financial Accounting (FI) > Asset Accounting (FI-AA) (New).
Release Note on Inflation Accounting
See also the release note on inflation accounting: FIN_AA_PARALLEL_INFL: Inflation Adjustment in FI-AA (New)
Fill RESBD Structure from EBP Component Structure
General Material Data
This documentation is copyright by SAP AG.
Length: 18156 Date: 20180820 Time: 075604 sap01-206 ( 90 ms )
Looking for Support? Questions?
Leave us your contact details and we will call you back. Panels marked with * are mandatory.